Opera in Schools
Each year, Piedmont Opera and the A.J. Opera Institute travel to schools across North Carolina to give students a taste of opera while teaching important moral lessons. The opera is performed by graduate level students of the A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. Students are working on professional degrees in opera and many of them have performed with professional opera companies throughout the United States. The cost of this performance is $150 per performance. Contact Piedmont Opera to schedule this event at your school.
The 2018-19 children’s opera will be Hansel and Gretel. This production is sold out.
Once you reserve a date, Piedmont Opera will contact you to confirm the following:
- That your school has a piano available for this performance. (required)
- The time of your school’s performance (mornings only). Each performance will last approximately 35 minutes, followed by a question and answer period.
- The type of room where the performance will take place. (a stage is not required)
- The grade levels of the attending students. No more than 350 students per performance please. We can book multiple performances at one school in a morning.
- That a microphone will be available for the question and answer period after the performance. (optional)
After this information is confirmed, Piedmont Opera will send you educational materials that you can use to prepare the students for a fun operatic experience.