- This event has passed.
Director of Advancement & Community Engagement
September 26 @ 8:00 am - October 10 @ 5:00 pm
Piedmont Opera is seeking applicants for the Director of Advancement & Community Engagement.
Job Title: Director of Advancement & Community Engagement
Job Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Reports To: General/Executive Director
The Director of Advancement & Community Engagement, working with the General/Executive Director, plans, manages and executes all aspects of fundraising and cultivation for the Company. This position will work closely and with great flexibility within a small office staff to achieve the goals of the company. Presently, Piedmont Opera operates on an annual budget of $1,200,000, with 67% generated by contributed income.
This director will also serve as “second in command”, assuming decision-making duties in absence of the General/Executive Director and will frequently be called upon as “host” for events surrounding productions. This position reports to the General/Executive Director.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintain relationships with individual, corporate, and foundation funding sources, including the Winston Salem Forsyth County Arts Council and the North Carolina Arts Council
• Devise and execute appropriate strategies for obtaining major gifts, grants, and sponsorships
• Identify and cultivate potential donors and retain existing donors.
• Maintain contact database as well as foundation, corporation, and individual donor records
• Manage current, new, and lapsed patron relationships, including mailings and phone calls
• Prepare correspondence, proposals, and reports for major gift donors, prospects, and foundations
• Research new grant opportunities and oversee the writing and compilation of major grant submissions
• Coordinate appeals campaigns for both Piedmont Opera and the Winston Salem Youth Chorus
• Develop and coordinate all special events, including the principal fundraiser and signature events of both Piedmont Opera and the Winston Salem Youth Chorus
• Function as staff liaison to Board Development and Resource Development Committees, working with board members to achieve optimal outcomes
• With the assistance of the Director of Marketing, engage with the Board of Directors to secure advertising in the playbill annually
• Assist the Business Manager as needed with ticket sales to all events
• Attend all Piedmont Opera events and performances
• Perform other duties as assigned by the General/Executive Director
QUALIFICATIONS and REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Significant advancement leadership experience, preferably in a relevant, successful not-for-profit setting
• Ability to serve as a trusted partner to the General/Executive Director, Staff and Board
• Success in envisioning, implementing, and managing a bold advancement strategy
• Well-developed communication & presentation skills
• Ability to lead a variety of constituents from volunteers to board members
• Self-motivated, with the skill to solve problems creatively and effectively
• Must be able to attend evening/weekend events, as needed
• Passion for the mission
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Piedmont Opera is now in its 41st year of continuous operation. The company strives to remain a nationally recognized and acclaimed regional opera company and a leader in the classical arts community. Piedmont Opera produces the highest quality opera productions possible by using international, national, regional and local professional singers and technicians. Piedmont Opera currently attracts patrons from 16 states and communities throughout the Piedmont, Upstate, and Virginia. Since 1978, Piedmont Opera has performed over 48 different productions to an audience of over 150,000 people.
In addition to two regularly scheduled productions each year, Piedmont Opera also conducts a wide variety of educational and outreach programs. This season, Piedmont Opera welcomed the Winston Salem Youth Chorus into its organization. The Winston-Salem Youth Chorus has positively impacted the lives of hundreds of children and youth through music education and performance experiences for 25 years. The group is composed of auditioned students from throughout the Triad ages 8 to 18. As the second largest opera company in the state of North Carolina, Piedmont Opera has a current operation budget of 1,200,000 and operates with an administrative staff of five full-time positions.
Please send cover letter, résumé and three professional references with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send applications by October 10, 2018.